October 10, 2023 | Vol. 22 | Issue 10
By Dana Lohneis, MGI Senior Account Executive
Tips to Successful Member Engagement
Is member engagement part of your membership retention strategy? Successful member engagement leads to increased retention and renewal rates, increased member loyalty, and improved relevancy for your organization. And if you don't have a plan to engage early, you risk losing both new and established members.
Member engagement requires ongoing, proactive effort to reach members with relevant content, messaging, and opportunities that demonstrate value and nurture relationships. Here are five member engagement tips you can implement to foster a more engaged and active membership:
- Segmentation and Personalization: Divide your members into segments based on demographics, interests, or engagement levels. Tailor your communication and engagement strategies to each segment's specific needs and preferences. Personalize messages and content whenever possible to make members feel valued and understood.
- Onboarding for New Members: Develop a structured onboarding process to help new members understand the resources, benefits, and opportunities your organization offers, and they have access to. A common way to achieve this is through an email series that explains benefits and links members directly to your top-rated resources.
- Create an Online Community: Establish an online platform or forum where members can connect, share knowledge, and discuss industry-related topics. Encourage members to participate in discussions, ask questions, and provide insights. Appoint community managers or moderators to facilitate a positive and respectful environment.
- Engaging Content and Resources: Provide valuable and relevant content through webinars, articles, videos, podcasts, or whitepapers. Regularly update your association's website with resources, tools, and educational materials that cater to members' interests and needs. Encourage members to contribute content, share their expertise, or showcase their achievements.
- Exclusive Member Benefits and Opportunities: Offer unique benefits and privileges to members, such as access to exclusive resources, discounts on events or products, or early registration for conferences. Provide members with professional networking opportunities for leadership development and career advancement. Continually assess and improve these benefits based on member feedback and preferences.
Remember, the key to successful member engagement is to consistently demonstrate the value of membership by addressing the specific needs and interests of your members. Regularly seek feedback to refine your engagement strategies and ensure that your organization remains relevant and valuable to your members.
Want to learn more about member engagement strategies? Reach out to Michelle Peterson by email at email@example.com or phone at 703-706-0327.